About Your Trainer
Ami has been professionally working with domestic and exotic species for over 15 years.
Ami grew up in Rockland County, NY and after college, she relocated to the Florida Keys for 4 1/2 years and worked as a marine mammal trainer. She worked not only with dolphins and sea lions, but also on the training and conditioning of many species of sharks, sea turtles, sting rays, and tropical fish.
After her time in Florida, Ami decided to come back up North to live in New Jersey and now focuses a majority of her her training skills on domestic dogs and helping owners with their 4-legged family members! Besides dog training, Ami works with both domestic and exotic animal species for the Wildlife Conservation Society within the Education Department. She has worked at both the Bronx Zoo and Central Park Zoo, both of which are run by the WCS.
Ami offers great private and group dog training lessons and has developed a reputation of being kind, compassionate, and understanding when it comes to training. Her experiences with so many animal species shows that her training techniques do work, wether it's a dolphin or a dog!
Education: MAT and BA in Psychology with an Animal Behavior Concentration, double minor in Biology & Art
Professional Work Experience:
- Has been working with, and training, both domestic and exotic species of animals since 1997.
- Offers private and personalized in home dog training lessons to clients.
- Featured trainer on eHow.com videos on animal training.
- Contributing writer for Zliving.com on healthy pet tips.
- Featured Animal Expert on the syndicated children's show Animal Science.
- Developed and created college preparatory curriculum on Animal Behavior and Zoology.
- Teaches Obedience, Potty Training, Clicker Training and Group Classes.
- Worked Wildlife Conservation Society for over 7 years at both the Bronx and Central Park Zoos in the Education Department.
- Completed professional internships at the Marine Mammal Care Center in San Pedro, CA, the National Aquarium in Baltimore, MD, and the New Jersey State Aquarium in Camden, NJ
Memberships and Certifications:
- Member of the Hoboken Dog Association
- Member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT)
- AKC Evaluator for the Canine Good Citizen Test
- Professional member of the International Marine Animal Trainers Association (IMATA)
- Certified PADI Divemaster since 1997 and professional member of PADI
- Professional member of DAN (Divers Alert Network)
- Graduate from a Dog Training Accreditation Program
Appearances and Interviews:
- Animal Expert on the Chiller TV special "Can You Survive a Horror Movie?" orginial air date 2013.
- Featured Animal Expert on the morning show "Animal Science" 2013-present.
- Dog trainer on eHow.com video segments on dog training techniques.
- Appeared on various TV shows in America, Japan, and Europe during segments about dolphin and sea lion anatomy, behavior, and training.
- Appeared on the NBC Today Show and the WB Channel 11 Morning News during segments about dog training.
- Consultant for Consumer Reports Money Adviser about the perfect dog for retirees.
- Quoted in the Parent Paper, Bergen County, NJ in an article about training dogs and cats to get along in the same household.
Species of animals that Ami has worked with:
- Atlantic bottlenose dolphins
- California sea lions
- Green, hawksbill, loggerhead, and kemp's ridley sea turtle species
- Red tailed and harris hawks
- Raptors such as great horned, barred, and screech owls
- Lemon and nurse sharks
- Various species of tropical fish
- Domestic dogs as well as wolf-hybrids and fennec foxes
- Domestic cats
- Various rodents including chinchillas
- Various species of non venomous snakes
- Dab lizards and bearded dragons
- Savannah and white throated monitors
- Alligators and American crocodiles
- Various species of terrapins and tortoises
- 3 banded armadillos
- Sulfur and salomon crested cockatoos
- Various species of macaws
- Tawny frogmouth birds
- Various frog and toad species
- Domestic ferrets and rabbits
- And so many more because the list keeps growing!!